last updated (m/d/y) : 04-01-23
updatehello there, long time no see ...!
unfortunately, i have decided to stop updating the card, at least for now. i apologize for the inactivity and any current inaccuracies. i wish that all users continue doing research and listening to the black community regarding aave.as far as other future derivatives of an aave glossary, i am totally fine with any elements of this carrd being used in other people's work.
i'm glad that the carrd has been helpful!
shout out !along with myself @sagittarisoul by creating and editing this carrd, i have met and chatted with lovely, helpful, brilliant ppl who have given additions and suggestions with this carrd !to those dearly appreciated and cherished ppl, i'd like to thank:
space- twitter user @Cranque2
- twitter user @hotscotchbutter
- twitter user @deezmalders
- twitter user @sowhatbyloona
- twitter user @bwuniess
- twitter user @keithxxx16
- twitter user @kuniroselover
- twitter user @ImLegitStunning
- twitter user @injwects
space*...+- thank uuu -+...*
this carrd will serve as a master glossary for almost all aave words n phrases (made by a black person) !!if there are any words that u do not see here, anything that u may think should(n't) be here, or u have any questions/concerns, pls kindly dm me !!im working on this solo, so pls bare w me !!thank u !! :D
African American Venacular English
Definition : also called Black English, is spoken by most African Americans and Black Canadians.
note :please have prior knowledge of what AAVE is and its origins. if u do not, i encourage u to do research on your own.
this carrd is to serve solely as a dictionary-like/glossary for aave. please do not use this as an official source for this is a carrd that i made recreatively, and it's not to substitute credible sources ! the information on the carrd will more or less be accurate since this list is based on the consensus of black people that not only i have experienced, but among other black people as well …!
this carrd works best on desktop since it has a lot of terms, and to view them, it doesn't include a lot of scrolling compared to mobile
(still a lot to scroll thru, but it's considerably less than mobile lol).
i have some links below for you to start your research journey.
a starting place <3spaceborrow a book!spacewikispacephonologyspacejive talkspacejive dictionaryspaceaave slidesharespaceoverview of aavespacepdf about aavespacecreole origins of aavespacecan non-black ppl use aavespaceappropriation of black culturespaceaave is not "internet slang"spaceusing aave as a non-black personspaceultimate source: listen to black people.space
here is the alphabetical list of aave words ! enjoy !!note :some aave terms are claimed by other marginalized groups that i am not a part of, and it is not my place to add them to this list, so i would refer to you researching those unlisted terms on your own !!last updated : 11-01-22
A - E
about that : used with phrases like, "about that life," meaning, being passionate about or associated with something.
- add not to create a negative context
aggy : term for aggressive or agitated
(a)ight then: term for alright then
ak-matic : noun for AK47 ASSUALT RIFFLE
"and that's on what?": question that prompts the answer, "period"
- used to further solidify statement and agreement
asf : term for "as fvck;" used for emphasis
as u should: phrase used in encouragement and show of approval
- to show that u agree w one's actions and/or achievements
ate : to describe one’s flawless performance
- usually used to express one’s amazement
- ”ariana ate her ‘my hair’ vevo performance”
(they) ate and left no crumbs: a phrase to describe someone when they serve in something, as in singing, fashion, makeup, and/or other performances
- the "no crumbs" part is to exemplify how well the person presented themselves
- could also be the literal definition of someone eating something and leaving no crumbs
- "ariana ate her grammy's performance and no left crumbs"
ax : verb to ask
- notable in southern dialects
aye : slang interjection
- used in a positive context
- similar to the use of yo
"back on my bs" : when someone returns to their previous behavior
- used to refer to someone going back to being sad, ignorant, or any other emotions/actions
bae : acronym for before anyone else; also a nickname for babe
bank : making copious amounts of money, similar to being rich
- "doctors make bank"
"[the] bar is on the floor" : in reference to an expectation that is considered low
- could be used vice versa
basic : a noun to describe someone/something as mainstream
- "if u own a pair of uggs, you're basic"
beef : to have a conflict or disagreement
been : a term used to describe duration of knowledge; like already knowing of something
- considered as aave if been is used without have or used after a pronoun
- "we been knew"
- "ibeen bought it"
beat : a description of being glammed up, commonly with makeup
bet : term for yes, or okay
- used to solidify a bet, in challenge to compete with someone
- "i'll beat u in this 1v1." "aight, bet"
beyotch : noun for the b word (trying to keep it relatively pg !)
- other variants: [email protected]
bffr : acronym for be effing for real
- used to express annoyance
- "bffr, aave is not gen z slang"
bip : to describe a good hair ; straight hairline, all blended, no bald spots, or uneveness
- usually used in the male context
-"he's bipped up!"
biscuit : term for gun
- you may have heard of the phrase "son of a gun" ...
- "son of a biscuit"
bizzack : the position of being in the back
- stems from older aave with -iz- placed in between words
- "the milk is in the bizzack"
boutta: term for about to
- synonym for finna
boi : term for boy
bomb : describe or to emphasize when something is cool
boo : a term of endearment
booked : to run away
bop : to describe good music or the act of getting a haircut
- "this song is a bop!"
-"my boy is aboutta get a bop"
boss : a way to describe something as great; or address someone
brizzle : noun for the b word and call something broad
- used in a rude context
-"the person on the phone was such a brizzle"
bruh : term for bro, used to address a friend
- used to react to a situation that's wild
buckets : a basketball reference when someone scores, or goes for the shot
bumpin : to describe a song that has a nice beat
- "this song is bumpin!"
bussin : describe when something, usually food, tastes good
"but blm, right?": a question asked to a black person's contradicting actions and/or ideas
- usually used as a joke, or a comeback
- "that waiter was rude, but blm right?"
cap : term for lying
- "no cap" means "no lie"
carry : to describe someone who is benefitting their team the most
- used in sports; when someone is scoring most, or a lot of points
- also used in comparison; commonly in the music industry: an artist may make great music and seems to refresh the industry from it's lack of quality
cat : noun for a dude or person
- "they're such a cool cat"
catch these hands : a call out for a fight
cheesin: a literal cheesing smile :)
chile : term for child; pronounced similar to child but without the consonant ending
chill : a state of being calm
- could be used to describe someone who isn't calm, "has no chill"
clap emoji in between words : used in text, to emphasize crucial points in a statement
- observed in high tense conversations when people use hand gestures (bare w me its kind of hard to explain :') )
-"get 👏🏽 your 👏🏽finger 👏🏽 out 👏🏽 of 👏🏽 my 👏🏽 face 👏🏽"
coin : term for money
come for... : to attack, or judge, someone
cop : to get, or to buy
cray cray : term for crazy
crib : term for one's house or living space
- origins from harlem
- "pull up to the crib"
cuddy : similar to homie
- usually accompanied with 'bro'
- "what's up cuddy bro"
- sometimes used as a reaction to indifference
- "i failed the math quiz cuddy broooo"
cuh : term for cousin
- similar to the usage of chief
da hell?: term for the hell?
- used in question
"dap me up": greeting/handshake which involves of hooking thumbs, pound hugging, fist pounding, and/or chest/fist bumping
- originated among black soldiers during the Vietnam War to show solidarity in the Black Power movement
[email protected] : term for serious(ly)
dig it : used to show enjoyment or liking of something
- used in question of understanding, e.g. "ya dig?"
dime : to describe something of top quality
- "that waitress was a dime"
din : term for dinner
- "we all went to din' and then I had to pay"
dip : to leave
done : the state of being completed, perfective
- used throughout a sentence as an adverb
- "she done nearly crashed the car"
dope : term for cool
dough : synonym for money
down bad: when someone is desperately at their lowest point, either emotionally, financially, mentally..
- to be deprived of sexual contact
- can be "down [insert synonym for bad]"
drag : to call out someone and to critique someone
drip : to describe style
- used as a noun similar to ice
- used as a verb to describe cool style
drop : the state of releasing a product
- used in the music industry
- "a new record dropped [insert your fav]"
dry : to describe someone or something as boring
- usually in the setting of text messaging
- "his texts are dry"
errybody: term for everybody
"errybody and they mama": used when an audience is larger than normal
- not a literal audience, but those involved in something has a higher than average turnout
extra : to describe someone, or something as over the top
<< main menu
F - J
fam : a term similar to homie
"[that's] facts": used to respond to someone who is telling true statements, or express agreement
feeling some type of way : to describe or emphasis a feeling someone has- "this person makes me feel some type of way"
fierce : used to compliment something that looks high quality, or superior
finna : term for "going to"
- "i'm finna sleep"
filthy: to describe something cool
- "that half court shot was filthy"
fire : to describe something as very cool, catchy, or nice sounding
- could be used to describe a beat of a song or clothing
- other variations: fye
fleek : used in the phrase "on fleek," meaning to look on point, or look nice
flex : a verb that is similar to showing off
- for ex. flexing money and/or other luxurious items
fo sho : term for "for sure"
- also used with the phrase "fo real," which means for real
- the endings of words, such as fo sho, are greatly explained on the wiki under the phonology section ;)
fxck outta here [foh]: used in disbelief
-similar to, the very pg version, "shut the front door"
fxck with : the state of enjoying
- abbreviated as fw
- "i fw [noun] heavily"
g : term for og or friend (of any proximity)
- functions as an adjective meaning of quality
- "my oldest friend is a g"
gag : to describe being taken aback by something, or amazed
- "this outfit has me gagged"
game too strong : to describe something as overpowering
- used to describe style, e.g. shoes
gas : synonym for good @ss shxt
- pretty self-explanatory !
ghetto: to describe someone's behavior based off of stereotypes of black people
- the stereotypical place of residence; impoverished, predominately black neighborhood
git box : term for guitar
- look at jive terms in links page !
giving me life : to describe the feeling of being inspired, moved, and/or validated by something
- "this quote gives me life"
give them the smoke/work : to show off someone's skills
- usually used in competitive settings, such as sports and gaming, when someone is showing great skill/technique
gizzo : verb to go
- stems from older aave terms with the usage of -iz- in between words
- "it's time to gizzo"
gon(e) : verb going to
- also written as: gon or gon'
go off : a way to express or passionately speak on something, or vent
- could be used as to dismiss someone, "but go off, i guess"
goin[g] through it : the state of someone going through tribulations, or struggles, in their life
"got this in the bag" : term for encouragement
- similar to the phrase, "you got this," but the in the bag part is a metaphor for security
- in the bag could also directly relate to money bags
- used in competitive settings
"good looks" : used to describe something as impressive
- "nice job [insert name], good looks"
got me fxcked up: phrase used to show dissatisfaction, and/or disapproval
- similar to "u got me messed up"
have [a seat] : used to tell someone to mind their business
- "you don't know what you're talking about, have a seat"
have [time]: phrase used when someone expresses they have the patience, or time, to do or discuss something
- quite self explanatory
[email protected] : to describe someone who is ignorant
- used as an add on, "with your goofy [email protected]"
hella : to describe the amount of something, usually excessively
- "she's got hella hair"
heated : to be angry, or to describe a situation as aggressive or tense
high cappin' : adjective to describe someone who lies often or with convoluted lies
- "my brother is high cappin'... he ain't do jack"
hit different : to refer to an event the feels/seems disparate
- "ariana's whistle notes hit different"
- hit is also a term term that acts similarly to a verb of someone using something
- for example: hitting a blunt
homies : term for buddies, friends, easily interpreted as homeboys
- could be written as: homey
hummin' : to describe something that doesn't smell good
- "man, my breath is hummin' after that gyro"
hunnid : term for hundred
- also written as: hunnit
- "das a hunnid dollars?!???!"
- the state of being truthful
- "imma be a hunnid with u... ion know wtf is goin on"
hunty : a combonation of honey and cxnt, used as a demeaning term
hype : to get excited about something, or to describe something as exciting
ice : metaphor for jewelry
i feel you : similar to "i relate"
ight : term for alright
- other variants: aight
"i got the time of day": phrase used to tell someone that they "have time"
- used when someone has the patience to do something, either in argument or day to day
"i know that's right": phrase used in agreement to, or with, something
-"trump was impeached!? iktr..."
i know u lyin?: question prompted from disbelief, and/or skepticism
- used to test someone if they're being serious
- "u did the dishes? ikyfl.." (totally not from personal experience)
"it's giving...": statement prompted when there's a resemblance
- "the hair.... it's giving me... bird's nest" (idk what this example is, pls bare w me)
imma : term for "im going to"
- "imma eat good tonight"[to have] inches : reference to long hair
"it's over" : to refer to something as "game over"
- this is used in a sense that if someone one's up another person, there's no chance of redemption
- used in various circumstances such as gaming, fashion, entertainment, and sports
- "their outfit on the red carpet? it's over!"
- "ariana's performance was pheonominal, show's over!"
"it's very much [insert adjective]" : to describe, or point out, the severity of something
- "the dress... it's very much bland"
ion : term for "i dont"
- "ion know"
"it's the ... for me": statement used when pointing out something that someone has, which may prompt conversation, and/or interest
-usually used in passive aggressiveness
<< main menu
K - O
"keep the same energy" : to approach a situation with the same attitude/mindset that is similar to =another situation==
- basically meaning to stay consistent
- "y'all were donating to notre dame when it was burning down, but won't speak up about blm!? keep the same energy"
killin[g] it : to do well in something
- "they're killing it on the field right now"
kush : noun for marijuana
laid : to describe the state of something being laid flat, like hair edges
- or to describe getting action in bed
"let me put you on" : term for recommending something
- "lemme put u on with this other face wash"
link : to meet up
- "who wanna link up ?"
lit : to get turnt, hyped
- used to describe an exciting event or feeling
lowkey : to describe something as quiet/secretive, and/or describe the depth of feelings for something
- "let's keep it lowkey"
-"im lowkey down to join"
mad : another word for "very"
- "it's mad hot outside"
make bank: term for making a lot of money
- used to describe someone's earnings before or after they do something that will accumulate large amounts of wealth
"make it make sense" : to respond to nonsense
- pretty self explanatory :)
mans : pretentious way to refer to someone's significant other
mean : a positive term to describe something as cool
- usually used to describe a good beat in music
".. than a mf": phrase used to describe one's behavior as out of the ordinary, above/below average
- "u crazier than a mf"
miss girl/gurl : to address someone, typically a girl
- could be used in endearment and/or passive aggressiveness
"my [insert noun] said...": a way to emphasize someone's idea in conversation that may be seen as absurd, dumb and/or funny
- this is usually used in friendly banter
- "my man said, 'how much is 99 cent bread'"
n/nd: short version of and
- not fully pronouncing the a vowel
n word: u already know.
not the.../not you...: statement, or question prompted when someone does something outta pocket
-used to call someone out, either seriously or among friendly banter
"now [tell me] why ....": statement that leads to question about someone/something
- usually used to point out irony, confusion, n other thoughts
"oh you have lost your goddxmn mind ..." : statement that is similar to "what's wrong with you!??"
- usually, each word is annunciated ... (to get the point across)
- used when scolding :p
on god, or [insert highly respected figure] : used when promising on something near, and dear to someone
- used when telling the truth
- self explanatory but its use is similar to "on my mama"
on point/fleek : to describe the look of something nice
on that [noun] ish : to be
- indulge in an activity
- usually used to describe someone's character
- "my brother is on that annoying ish he does"
on the regular : term for on a daily basis
opp : noun for enemy
- commonly associated with acab
- "maaan, f the opps"
outta pocket: term for out of pocket
- when someone does something out of the ordinary, out of place, and/or odd
<< main menu
P - T
packing : (imma keep this as pg as possible, so im gonna sound like i got a phd rq)
- in reference to the size of a male's genitalia
- usually used in larger comparisons
period : to express approval, to end a sentence, and/or to emphasize an idea
- variations: purr, [email protected], periodt
petty : the state of being stuck up
playin : to fool around
- the dropping of the "g" is explained in aave terminology links
plug : to refer to someone as reliable
- for ex. snacks !!
pop a cap : to fire a bullet
popping off : means to go crazy, or to describe someone or something doing well
- "u passed your exam!? pop off"
pressed : to be mad, or upset
queen : term of endearment
- to describe a female figure as beautiful and other synonyms
rack(s) : term for money
- what do you think the song "rack city" is about ..!
rando : term for random
- "ion know that dude!? he's a rando"
ratchet : the state of being messy
read : to roast, or be roasted, by someone
- when you read someone, you point out their flaws
real : to express the difficulty of something; to express transparency in something
-"the struggle is real"
-"to be real," is similar to saying, "in all seriousness..."
respect : to express someone's respects, usually verbally expressed
-pretty self explanatory pls
roll : to move
- usually used in modes of transportation: car, walking
- "at midnight, we roll"
- "rollin' down the block"
rolly : noun for rolex; any resemblance of a rolex watch
- other variants: rollie
run(nning) hands/fade : to incite a fight
- similar to catch these hands
- "they running hands!"
- "they finna run fades fr"
salty : synonym for jealous, mean
school : to put someone in their place
- used in arguments of those who are deemed ascorrect
- other variations: skoo (just drop the letter before m)
scrill : noun for money
- "do you have any scrill"
serve : to describe the looks given by people, think of modeling
shade : to have, or express negative remarks of someone/something
shawty: term for shorty
- usually used in attraction to someone
- other variants: shawtee, shauty, shautee, other phonetic spellings
shoe game : to describe someone's shoe style, usually in a positive way
- there are other variations with other items of clothing, or to describe someone's skill with [noun/verb] game
shook : to be surprised, literally shaken up by something
shoot[as]ers: a name for someone who has your back
shoot your shot : to ask out someone in your interest
sickening : to express someone's amazement
-usually used with makeup looks
side-eye: the state of being suspicious, shady, skeptical
simp : the state of being overly desperate
- usually acted by guys
sis : short for "sister," used to address someone
slay : to look good, and/or perfect something, again, think of modeling
slime: another word for "homie"
- "wassup my slime"
s[ch]lumped: the state of being very tired, and to describe someone as they're asleep
[the] smoke : to refer to someone to fight, or beat up
- reference to someone's skill in fighting
- "don't mess w me, or you'll get the smoke"
snatched : to be neat
- usually used to describe the looks of someone, being neat n tidy
spill: to tell, usually with gossip
-"spill the tea" (how predictable huh)
spittin : when someone is speaking fast, skillfully rapping, or speaking facts
- verb for saying
stank face : a look of disapproval
stay woke : a phrase that can serve as a reminder to stay open-minded, and/or alert
steady: the state of consistency, being at the same pace or state of being
- similar to the use of the word, "stay"
-"she steady writing"
straight up : similar to the definition of real; tell the truth
-replace this word with "literally," and that's pretty much how it's used lol
"so u grown now?": question that serves as a reality check
-usually used with children who suddenly act their age
sus : term for suspicious
swag : the state or description of being cool
tea : gossip, and/or news
thang : noun for thing
- used to replace any noun in a sentence
"that shxt don't make no damn sense": a reaction to something that literally doesn't makes no sense
- the grammar is supposed to be pretentious
"that's tuff" : used to respond to =someone's inconvenience
- "oh, you missed the soccer goal. that's tuff."
"that's wraps" : to refer to something as over as in defeat or winning
- usually used in the same circumstances as the phrase "it's over"
- "the winning touchdown, that's wraps"
the struggle: to describe someone's circumstance
- self explanatory :)
the "gawds": the hypothetical nickname for higher powers
- used to compare one's snatched look to "the gawds"
-think of makeup
"they movin weird": a phrase to describe someone's behavior as abnormal and/or sus
thick : to describe one's body as having curves
- opposite of lean
- other variants: thiq, thicc, other phonetic spellings
thirsty: to describe someone/something as being desperate
thot : a noun from the acronym meaning that hxe over there
- used to waggishly characterize female figures
tight: to describe something as cool, and/or neat
throwing shade: to spread shade of someone or something
- spreading gossip, essentially
throw it back : to twerk, or simply put, throw your butt back
trash : to describe something as really bad, or lack of quality
tried it : a response to someone who tests someone's patience, or state of being
- usually used in aggression
triffling : to describe someone as untrustworthy, sneaky, or other ill-natured traits
- "i told them to keep a secret and they told the one person that i didnt want them to tell. they're triffling"
trip : to overreact, and/or be overdramatic
trynna : term for trying to
turn up : to get lit, or hype
tussle : to fight
- "me n blank are aboutta tussle"
tweak : a verb similar to lag
- to describe someone/thing as abnormal in regards of movement
- "my phone is tweakin'"
<< main menu
U - Z
vibe : verb to resonate with one's energy
- usually used to describe something as relaxing
-"i like their vibe"
wayment now: term for wait a minute now
- similar to the "jazz music stops" meme (same concept)
we been knew: the state of already being knowledgeable something
werk : term for work
- used in encouragement when someone is slaying
"what's poppin'" : term for what's up, how's it going
"what we not finna do": term for "what we're not gonna do"
- usually used in disagreement
wig: to express shock
- a literal accessory
wildin: to describe someone's state or being as crazy, or very wild
-self explanatory lol
woke : to be open-minded or alert
- accompanied by the word stay ; see stay woke
wypipo: one of many variations of spelling "white people"
-yt people, whypipo
yass : term for yes
- used to show excitement
you ain't even: term for you aren't even
- can slur together into sounding like yeen
you better than me bc...": a starter sentence that will lead to a statement that is, on a scale, much worse
- used in conversation
- A: "i did all my hw"
B: "u better than me bc i havent done anything"
you got the right idea, but the wrong bxtch: a way to tell someone that they're not the person who can respond
- think of having/talking about ideas for a fun party to your antisocial friend (juxtaposition i suppose)
yuh : term for yeah
<< main menu