last updated (m/d/y) : 11-01-22
updatehello there, long time no see -!
i regret to say that this carrd will be temporarily closed from this point onwards.
this carrd will still remain published, but i will be out of reach.
nevertheless, i wish that users will continue to spread awareness and teach others about aave.
even though this carrd will not be up to date, by continuing the conversation regarding aave, the information on the carrd will more or less be as accurate as it can be.
lastly, i would like to share my gratitude to everyone who has reached out through this carrd.
i have been pleasantly, and still continue to be, surprised by the outreach of the carrd !
please continue to spread awareness and stay smart !
take it easy !
shout out !along with myself @sagittarisoul by creating and editing this carrd, i have met and chatted with lovely, helpful, brilliant ppl who have given additions and suggestions with this carrd !to those dearly appreciated and cherished ppl, i'd like to thank:
space- twitter user @Cranque2
- twitter user @hotscotchbutter
- twitter user @deezmalders
- twitter user @sowhatbyloona
- twitter user @bwuniess
- twitter user @keithxxx16
- twitter user @kuniroselover
- twitter user @ImLegitStunning
- twitter user @injwects
space*...+- thank uuu -+...*
this carrd will serve as a master glossary for almost all aave words n phrases (made by a black person) !!if there are any words that u do not see here, anything that u may think should(n't) be here, or u have any questions/concerns, pls kindly dm me !!im working on this solo, so pls bare w me !!thank u !! :D
African American Venacular English
Definition : also called Black English, is spoken by most African Americans and Black Canadians.
note :please have prior knowledge of what AAVE is and its origins. if u do not, i encourage u to do research on your own.
this carrd is to serve solely as a dictionary-like/glossary for aave. please do not use this as an official source for this is a carrd that i made recreatively, and it's not to substitute credible sources ! the information on the carrd will more or less be accurate since this list is based on the consensus of black people that not only i have experienced, but among other black people as well …!
this carrd works best on desktop since it has a lot of terms, and to view them, it doesn't include a lot of scrolling compared to mobile
(still a lot to scroll thru, but it's considerably less than mobile lol).
i have some links below for you to start your research journey. as always, you can kindly dm me any questions u may have !!
a starting place <3spaceborrow a book!spacewikispacephonologyspacejive talkspacejive dictionaryspaceaave slidesharespaceoverview of aavespacepdf about aavespacecreole origins of aavespacecan non-black ppl use aavespaceappropriation of black culturespaceaave is not "internet slang"spaceusing aave as a non-black personspaceultimate source: listen to black people.space
here is the alphabetical list of aave words ! enjoy !!note :some aave terms are claimed by other marginalized groups that i am not a part of, and it is not my place to add them to this list, so i would refer to you researching those unlisted terms on your own !!as always, if there are any concerns, please contact me !last updated : 11-01-22
A - E
about that : used with phrases like, "about that life," meaning, being passionate about or associated with something.
- add not to create a negative context
aggy : term for aggressive or agitated
(a)ight then: term for alright then
ak-matic : noun for AK47 ASSUALT RIFFLE
"and that's on what?": question that prompts the answer, "period"
- used to further solidify statement and agreement
asf : term for "as fvck;" used for emphasis
as u should: phrase used in encouragement and show of approval
- to show that u agree w one's actions and/or achievements
ate : to describe one’s flawless performance
- usually used to express one’s amazement
- ”ariana ate her ‘my hair’ vevo performance”
(they) ate and left no crumbs: a phrase to describe someone when they serve in something, as in singing, fashion, makeup, and/or other performances
- the "no crumbs" part is to exemplify how well the person presented themselves
- could also be the literal definition of someone eating something and leaving no crumbs
- "ariana ate her grammy's performance and no left crumbs"
ax : verb to ask
- notable in southern dialects
aye : slang interjection
- used in a positive context
- similar to the use of yo
"back on my bs" : when someone returns to their previous behavior
- used to refer to someone going back to being sad, ignorant, or any other emotions/actions
bae : acronym for before anyone else; also a nickname for babe
bank : making copious amounts of money, similar to being rich
- "doctors make bank"
"[the] bar is on the floor" : in reference to an expectation that is considered low
- could be used vice versa
basic : a noun to describe someone/something as mainstream
- "if u own a pair of uggs, you're basic"
beef : to have a conflict or disagreement
been : a term used to describe duration of knowledge; like already knowing of something
- considered as aave if been is used without have or used after a pronoun
- "we been knew"
- "ibeen bought it"
beat : a description of being glammed up, commonly with makeup
bet : term for yes, or okay
- used to solidify a bet, in challenge to compete with someone
- "i'll beat u in this 1v1." "aight, bet"
beyotch : noun for the b word (trying to keep it relatively pg !)
- other variants: [email protected]
bffr : acronym for be effing for real
- used to express annoyance
- "bffr, aave is not gen z slang"
bip : to describe a good hair ; straight hairline, all blended, no bald spots, or uneveness
- usually used in the male context
-"he's bipped up!"
biscuit : term for gun
- you may have heard of the phrase "son of a gun" ...
- "son of a biscuit"
bizzack : the position of being in the back
- stems from older aave with -iz- placed in between words
- "the milk is in the bizzack"
boutta: term for about to
- synonym for finna
boi : term for boy
bomb : describe or to emphasize when something is cool
boo : a term of endearment
booked : to run away
bop : to describe good music or the act of getting a haircut
- "this song is a bop!"
-"my boy is aboutta get a bop"
boss : a way to describe something as great; or address someone
brizzle : noun for the b word and call something broad
- used in a rude context
-"the person on the phone was such a brizzle"
bruh : term for bro, used to address a friend
- used to react to a situation that's wild
buckets : a basketball reference when someone scores, or goes for the shot
bumpin : to describe a song that has a nice beat
- "this song is bumpin!"
bussin : describe when something, usually food, tastes good
"but blm, right?": a question asked to a black person's contradicting actions and/or ideas
- usually used as a joke, or a comeback
- "that waiter was rude, but blm right?"
cap : term for lying
- "no cap" means "no lie"
carry : to describe someone who is benefitting their team the most
- used in sports; when someone is scoring most, or a lot of points
- also used in comparison; commonly in the music industry: an artist may make great music and seems to refresh the industry from it's lack of quality
cat : noun for a dude or person
- "they're such a cool cat"
catch these hands : a call out for a fight
cheesin: a literal cheesing smile :)
chile : term for child; pronounced similar to child but without the consonant ending
chill : a state of being calm
- could be used to describe someone who isn't calm, "has no chill"
clap emoji in between words : used in text, to emphasize crucial points in a statement
- observed in high tense conversations when people use hand gestures (bare w me its kind of hard to explain :') )
-"get 👏🏽 your 👏🏽finger 👏🏽 out 👏🏽 of 👏🏽 my 👏🏽 face 👏🏽"
coin : term for money
come for... : to attack, or judge, someone
cop : to get, or to buy
cray cray : term for crazy
crib : term for one's house or living space
- origins from harlem
- "pull up to the crib"
cuddy : similar to homie
- usually accompanied with 'bro'
- "what's up cuddy bro"
- sometimes used as a reaction to indifference
- "i failed the math quiz cuddy broooo"
cuh : term for cousin
- similar to the usage of chief
da hell?: term for the hell?
- used in question
"dap me up": greeting/handshake which involves of hooking thumbs, pound hugging, fist pounding, and/or chest/fist bumping
- originated among black soldiers during the Vietnam War to show solidarity in the Black Power movement
[email protected] : term for serious(ly)
dig it : used to show enjoyment or liking of something
- used in question of understanding, e.g. "ya dig?"
dime : to describe something of top quality
- "that waitress was a dime"
din : term for dinner
- "we all went to din' and then I had to pay"
dip : to leave
done : the state of being completed, perfective
- used throughout a sentence as an adverb
- "she done nearly crashed the car"
dope : term for cool
dough : synonym for money
down bad: when someone is desperately at their lowest point, either emotionally, financially, mentally..
- to be deprived of sexual contact
- can be "down [insert synonym for bad]"
drag : to call out someone and to critique someone
drip : to describe style
- used as a noun similar to ice
- used as a verb to describe cool style
drop : the state of releasing a product
- used in the music industry
- "a new record dropped [insert your fav]"
dry : to describe someone or something as boring
- usually in the setting of text messaging
- "his texts are dry"
errybody: term for everybody
"errybody and they mama": used when an audience is larger than normal
- not a literal audience, but those involved in something has a higher than average turnout
extra : to describe someone, or something as over the top
<< main menu
F - J
fam : a term similar to homie
"[that's] facts": used to respond to someone who is telling true statements, or express agreement
feeling some type of way : to describe or emphasis a feeling someone has- "this person makes me feel some type of way"
fierce : used to compliment something that looks high quality, or superior
finna : term for "going to"
- "i'm finna sleep"
filthy: to describe something cool
- "that half court shot was filthy"
fire : to describe something as very cool, catchy, or nice sounding
- could be used to describe a beat of a song or clothing
- other variations: fye
fleek : used in the phrase "on fleek," meaning to look on point, or look nice
flex : a verb that is similar to showing off
- for ex. flexing money and/or other luxurious items
fo sho : term for "for sure"
- also used with the phrase "fo real," which means for real
- the endings of words, such as fo sho, are greatly explained on the wiki under the phonology section ;)
fxck outta here [foh]: used in disbelief
-similar to, the very pg version, "shut the front door"
fxck with : the state of enjoying
- abbreviated as fw
- "i fw [noun] heavily"
g : term for og or friend (of any proximity)
- functions as an adjective meaning of quality
- "my oldest friend is a g"
gag : to describe being taken aback by something, or amazed
- "this outfit has me gagged"
game too strong : to describe something as overpowering
- used to describe style, e.g. shoes
gas : synonym for good @ss shxt
- pretty self-explanatory !
ghetto: to describe someone's behavior based off of stereotypes of black people
- the stereotypical place of residence; impoverished, predominately black neighborhood
git box : term for guitar
- look at jive terms in links page !
giving me life : to describe the feeling of being inspired, moved, and/or validated by something
- "this quote gives me life"
give them the smoke/work : to show off someone's skills
- usually used in competitive settings, such as sports and gaming, when someone is showing great skill/technique
gizzo : verb to go
- stems from older aave terms with the usage of -iz- in between words
- "it's time to gizzo"
gon(e) : verb going to
- also written as: gon or gon'
go off : a way to express or passionately speak on something, or vent
- could be used as to dismiss someone, "but go off, i guess"
goin[g] through it : the state of someone going through tribulations, or struggles, in their life
"got this in the bag" : term for encouragement
- similar to the phrase, "you got this," but the in the bag part is a metaphor for security
- in the bag could also directly relate to money bags
- used in competitive settings
"good looks" : used to describe something as impressive
- "nice job [insert name], good looks"
got me fxcked up: phrase used to show dissatisfaction, and/or disapproval
- similar to "u got me messed up"
have [a seat] : used to tell someone to mind their business
- "you don't know what you're talking about, have a seat"
have [time]: phrase used when someone expresses they have the patience, or time, to do or discuss something
- quite self explanatory
[email protected] : to describe someone who is ignorant
- used as an add on, "with your goofy [email protected]"
hella : to describe the amount of something, usually excessively
- "she's got hella hair"
heated : to be angry, or to describe a situation as aggressive or tense
high cappin' : adjective to describe someone who lies often or with convoluted lies
- "my brother is high cappin'... he ain't do jack"
hit different : to refer to an event the feels/seems disparate
- "ariana's whistle notes hit different"
- hit is also a term term that acts similarly to a verb of someone using something
- for example: hitting a blunt
homies : term for buddies, friends, easily interpreted as homeboys
- could be written as: homey
hummin' : to describe something that doesn't smell good
- "man, my breath is hummin' after that gyro"
hunnid : term for hundred
- also written as: hunnit
- "das a hunnid dollars?!???!"
- the state of being truthful
- "imma be a hunnid with u... ion know wtf is goin on"
hunty : a combonation of honey and cxnt, used as a demeaning term
hype : to get excited about something, or to describe something as exciting
ice : metaphor for jewelry
i feel you : similar to "i relate"
ight : term for alright
- other variants: aight
"i got the time of day": phrase used to tell someone that they "have time"
- used when someone has the patience to do something, either in argument or day to day
"i know that's right": phrase used in agreement to, or with, something
-"trump was impeached!? iktr..."
i know u lyin?: question prompted from disbelief, and/or skepticism
- used to test someone if they're being serious
- "u did the dishes? ikyfl.." (totally not from personal experience)
"it's giving...": statement prompted when there's a resemblance
- "the hair.... it's giving me... bird's nest" (idk what this example is, pls bare w me)
imma : term for "im going to"
- "imma eat good tonight"[to have] inches : reference to long hair
"it's over" : to refer to something as "game over"
- this is used in a sense that if someone one's up another person, there's no chance of redemption
- used in various circumstances such as gaming, fashion, entertainment, and sports
- "their outfit on the red carpet? it's over!"
- "ariana's performance was pheonominal, show's over!"
"it's very much [insert adjective]" : to describe, or point out, the severity of something
- "the dress... it's very much bland"
ion : term for "i dont"
- "ion know"
"it's the ... for me": statement used when pointing out something that someone has, which may prompt conversation, and/or interest
-usually used in passive aggressiveness
<< main menu
K - O
"keep the same energy" : to approach a situation with the same attitude/mindset that is similar to =another situation==
- basically meaning to stay consistent
- "y'all were donating to notre dame when it was burning down, but won't speak up about blm!? keep the same energy"
killin[g] it : to do well in something
- "they're killing it on the field right now"
kush : noun for marijuana
laid : to describe the state of something being laid flat, like hair edges
- or to describe getting action in bed
"let me put you on" : term for recommending something
- "lemme put u on with this other face wash"
link : to meet up
- "who wanna link up ?"
lit : to get turnt, hyped
- used to describe an exciting event or feeling
lowkey : to describe something as quiet/secretive, and/or describe the depth of feelings for something
- "let's keep it lowkey"
-"im lowkey down to join"
mad : another word for "very"
- "it's mad hot outside"
make bank: term for making a lot of money
- used to describe someone's earnings before or after they do something that will accumulate large amounts of wealth
"make it make sense" : to respond to nonsense
- pretty self explanatory :)
mans : pretentious way to refer to someone's significant other
mean : a positive term to describe something as cool
- usually used to describe a good beat in music
".. than a mf": phrase used to describe one's behavior as out of the ordinary, above/below average
- "u crazier than a mf"
miss girl/gurl : to address someone, typically a girl
- could be used in endearment and/or passive aggressiveness
"my [insert noun] said...": a way to emphasize someone's idea in conversation that may be seen as absurd, dumb and/or funny
- this is usually used in friendly banter
- "my man said, 'how much is 99 cent bread'"
n/nd: short version of and
- not fully pronouncing the a vowel
n word: u already know.
not the.../not you...: statement, or question prompted when someone does something outta pocket
-used to call someone out, either seriously or among friendly banter
"now [tell me] why ....": statement that leads to question about someone/something
- usually used to point out irony, confusion, n other thoughts
"oh you have lost your goddxmn mind ..." : statement that is similar to "what's wrong with you!??"
- usually, each word is annunciated ... (to get the point across)
- used when scolding :p
on god, or [insert highly respected figure] : used when promising on something near, and dear to someone
- used when telling the truth
- self explanatory but its use is similar to "on my mama"
on point/fleek : to describe the look of something nice
on that [noun] ish : to be
- indulge in an activity
- usually used to describe someone's character
- "my brother is on that annoying ish he does"
on the regular : term for on a daily basis
opp : noun for enemy
- commonly associated with acab
- "maaan, f the opps"
outta pocket: term for out of pocket
- when someone does something out of the ordinary, out of place, and/or odd
<< main menu
P - T
packing : (imma keep this as pg as possible, so im gonna sound like i got a phd rq)
- in reference to the size of a male's genitalia
- usually used in larger comparisons
period : to express approval, to end a sentence, and/or to emphasize an idea
- variations: purr, [email protected], periodt
petty : the state of being stuck up
playin : to fool around
- the dropping of the "g" is explained in aave terminology links
plug : to refer to someone as reliable
- for ex. snacks !!
pop a cap : to fire a bullet
popping off : means to go crazy, or to describe someone or something doing well
- "u passed your exam!? pop off"
pressed : to be mad, or upset
queen : term of endearment
- to describe a female figure as beautiful and other synonyms
rack(s) : term for money
- what do you think the song "rack city" is about ..!
rando : term for random
- "ion know that dude!? he's a rando"
ratchet : the state of being messy
read : to roast, or be roasted, by someone
- when you read someone, you point out their flaws
real : to express the difficulty of something; to express transparency in something
-"the struggle is real"
-"to be real," is similar to saying, "in all seriousness..."
respect : to express someone's respects, usually verbally expressed
-pretty self explanatory pls
roll : to move
- usually used in modes of transportation: car, walking
- "at midnight, we roll"
- "rollin' down the block"
rolly : noun for rolex; any resemblance of a rolex watch
- other variants: rollie
run(nning) hands/fade : to incite a fight
- similar to catch these hands
- "they running hands!"
- "they finna run fades fr"
salty : synonym for jealous, mean
school : to put someone in their place
- used in arguments of those who are deemed ascorrect
- other variations: skoo (just drop the letter before m)
scrill : noun for money
- "do you have any scrill"
serve : to describe the looks given by people, think of modeling
shade : to have, or express negative remarks of someone/something
shawty: term for shorty
- usually used in attraction to someone
- other variants: shawtee, shauty, shautee, other phonetic spellings
shoe game : to describe someone's shoe style, usually in a positive way
- there are other variations with other items of clothing, or to describe someone's skill with [noun/verb] game
shook : to be surprised, literally shaken up by something
shoot[as]ers: a name for someone who has your back
shoot your shot : to ask out someone in your interest
sickening : to express someone's amazement
-usually used with makeup looks
side-eye: the state of being suspicious, shady, skeptical
simp : the state of being overly desperate
- usually acted by guys
sis : short for "sister," used to address someone
slay : to look good, and/or perfect something, again, think of modeling
slime: another word for "homie"
- "wassup my slime"
s[ch]lumped: the state of being very tired, and to describe someone as they're asleep
[the] smoke : to refer to someone to fight, or beat up
- reference to someone's skill in fighting
- "don't mess w me, or you'll get the smoke"
snatched : to be neat
- usually used to describe the looks of someone, being neat n tidy
spill: to tell, usually with gossip
-"spill the tea" (how predictable huh)
spittin : when someone is speaking fast, skillfully rapping, or speaking facts
- verb for saying
stank face : a look of disapproval
stay woke : a phrase that can serve as a reminder to stay open-minded, and/or alert
steady: the state of consistency, being at the same pace or state of being
- similar to the use of the word, "stay"
-"she steady writing"
straight up : similar to the definition of real; tell the truth
-replace this word with "literally," and that's pretty much how it's used lol
"so u grown now?": question that serves as a reality check
-usually used with children who suddenly act their age
sus : term for suspicious
swag : the state or description of being cool
tea : gossip, and/or news
thang : noun for thing
- used to replace any noun in a sentence
"that shxt don't make no damn sense": a reaction to something that literally doesn't makes no sense
- the grammar is supposed to be pretentious
"that's tuff" : used to respond to =someone's inconvenience
- "oh, you missed the soccer goal. that's tuff."
"that's wraps" : to refer to something as over as in defeat or winning
- usually used in the same circumstances as the phrase "it's over"
- "the winning touchdown, that's wraps"
the struggle: to describe someone's circumstance
- self explanatory :)
the "gawds": the hypothetical nickname for higher powers
- used to compare one's snatched look to "the gawds"
-think of makeup
"they movin weird": a phrase to describe someone's behavior as abnormal and/or sus
thick : to describe one's body as having curves
- opposite of lean
- other variants: thiq, thicc, other phonetic spellings
thirsty: to describe someone/something as being desperate
thot : a noun from the acronym meaning that hxe over there
- used to waggishly characterize female figures
tight: to describe something as cool, and/or neat
throwing shade: to spread shade of someone or something
- spreading gossip, essentially
throw it back : to twerk, or simply put, throw your butt back
trash : to describe something as really bad, or lack of quality
tried it : a response to someone who tests someone's patience, or state of being
- usually used in aggression
triffling : to describe someone as untrustworthy, sneaky, or other ill-natured traits
- "i told them to keep a secret and they told the one person that i didnt want them to tell. they're triffling"
trip : to overreact, and/or be overdramatic
trynna : term for trying to
turn up : to get lit, or hype
tussle : to fight
- "me n blank are aboutta tussle"
tweak : a verb similar to lag
- to describe someone/thing as abnormal in regards of movement
- "my phone is tweakin'"
<< main menu
U - Z
vibe : verb to resonate with one's energy
- usually used to describe something as relaxing
-"i like their vibe"
wayment now: term for wait a minute now
- similar to the "jazz music stops" meme (same concept)
we been knew: the state of already being knowledgeable something
werk : term for work
- used in encouragement when someone is slaying
"what's poppin'" : term for what's up, how's it going
"what we not finna do": term for "what we're not gonna do"
- usually used in disagreement
wig: to express shock
- a literal accessory
wildin: to describe someone's state or being as crazy, or very wild
-self explanatory lol
woke : to be open-minded or alert
- accompanied by the word stay ; see stay woke
wypipo: one of many variations of spelling "white people"
-yt people, whypipo
yass : term for yes
- used to show excitement
you ain't even: term for you aren't even
- can slur together into sounding like yeen
you better than me bc...": a starter sentence that will lead to a statement that is, on a scale, much worse
- used in conversation
- A: "i did all my hw"
B: "u better than me bc i havent done anything"
you got the right idea, but the wrong bxtch: a way to tell someone that they're not the person who can respond
- think of having/talking about ideas for a fun party to your antisocial friend (juxtaposition i suppose)
yuh : term for yeah
<< main menu